75 = 80
38 = 64
29 = 54
53 = 36
44 = ?
In the heart of the elegant Bury St Edmunds town I found a gorgeous garden between the ruins of the Bury St Edmunds Abbey, which was once among the richest Benedictine monasteries in England, until the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1539.
A century ago, the Gardens were the property of the Marquess of Bristol, but through a leasehold agreement with the Council, they became a free public park. Today, the Abbey Gardens are owned by St Edmundsbury Borough Council, and managed by the council in conjunction with English Heritage. The abbey ruins lie within the park. A friends’ group supports the maintenance of and improvements of the gardens.
The Abbey Gardens surrounding the ruins had an “Internet bench” installed in 2001, which people could use to connect laptops to the Internet. It was the first bench of its kind. As well, there is a sensory garden for the visually impaired. The Gardens are also the venue for a wide variety of public and civic events: concerts, plays and parades; fun days, festivals, fairs and fireworks.
When, in the early 10th century, the relics of the martyred king, St Edmund, were translated from Hoxne to Beodricsworth, afterwards known as St Edmundsbury, the site had already been in religious use for nearly three centuries. To the small household of Benedictine monks who guarded the shrine the surrounding lands were granted in 1020, during the reign of Canute. Monks were introduced from St Benet’s Abbey under the auspices of the Bishop of Elmham and Dunwich. Two of them became Bury’s first two abbots, Ufi, prior of Holme, (d. 1044), who was consecrated abbot by the Bishop of London, and Leofstan (1044–65). After Leofstan’s death, the king appointed his physician Baldwin to the abbacy (1065–97). Baldwin rebuilt the church and reinterred St Edmund’s body there with great ceremony in 1095. The cult made the richly endowed abbey a popular destination for pilgrimages.
The abbey church of St Edmund was built in the 11th and 12th centuries on a cruciform plan, with its head (or apse) pointed east. The shrine of St Edmund stood behind the high altar. The abbey was much enlarged and rebuilt during the 12th century. At some 505 feet long, and spanning 246 ft across its westerly transept, Bury St Edmunds abbey church was one of the largest in the country. It is now ruined, with only some rubble cores remaining, but two other separate churches which were built within the abbey precinct survive, having always functioned as parish churches for the town. St James’s Church, now St Edmundsbury Cathedral, was finished around 1135. St Mary’s Church was first built around 1125, and then rebuilt in the Perpendicular style between 1425 and 1435.
Abbey Gate, opening onto the Great Courtyard, was the secular entrance which was used by the Abbey’s servants.(Wikipedia)
a b = c
[a + (a+2)] x b = c
(7+9) x 5 = 80
(3+5) x 8 = 64
(4+6) x 4 = 40